DrHookOfficialDR HOOK Starring Dennis Locorriere

The place where DL speaks his mind!
Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
DL13

DL~
MAY 28TH - HOTEL, MANDURAH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

So, here were are on the opposite end of the country; as far as you can go without being on the way home.
Nice hotel.
Not sure if we're overlooking a bay or harbour but the view is lovely.
Boats, lights, shining water.
Adrian, Simon, Brad and I are going out for one more meal together in about thirty minutes.
After that it's back here to the hotel to chill and rest up for the next/last three shows of the tour.
Found Letterman last night but it was a rerun.
Damn! We've been here that long???
Might just be me and Iron Mike Tyson again tonight.
The upcoming concerts had sold really well when we last checked and that was a couple of weeks ago, so I'm expecting some great crowds for our farewell shows.
There have been some tough bits to the tour, as can always be expected, as with life in general, but, as an overall assessment of the whole, it's been pretty f*cking successful.
And will probably be even better next tour.
OK, time to get ready go eat with my mates.
More when it seems interesting enough to relate.
Let's hope the meal alone meets those qualifications. ~

DL13

DL~
MAY 29TH - HOTEL

Fell asleep about 2am last night, but, with the time change, it was actually around 4.
Started waking up at 7, finally got up at 8:30.
I ordered some cereal to my room and the young lady who brought it said "Oh my God, good morning! My mother will be so jealous!".
I laughed and said I didn't think she'd be jealous of her seeing me early in the morning and she said "I'll tell her you looked amazing!"
Very sweet...and such a lie!
It was a flashback to the Hook days when stuff like that might occur at any moment.
As a matter of fact, when we arrived at the airport yesterday there were four guys of varying ages, between I'd say 20 and 40, that were waiting for me at baggage claim with a handful of old LPs to sign.
Another common occurrence back in the day.
Western Australians certainly have good memories.
It's a lovely day here today, making the view I have even nicer than it looked last night.
There are people fishing off the pier, not particularly looking like they give a toss about catching anything.
The seagulls sound like home.
We went out searching for a place to eat after I last signed off here, but the recommended establishment was closed for renovation and all there seemed to be were pizza places calling themselves Italian restaurants.
We ended up dining at the hotel which turned out to be a good, if only choice.
Won't bore you with what I ate, but to say Yum!
There's a small gym here but it's so nice outside it seems a shame to walk on an indoor treadmill.
I won't motor quite as fast but I will be compensated by sunshine and fresh air.
I have a live radio interview at half noon, so I'm gonna be sure to be showered and ready to head out as soon as I say goodbye to the presenter.
It appears to be another one of those days that proves that life ain't ain't all crap.
And we're three shows away from the end of the tour.
But who's counting, huh?
(That would be me...) ~

DL13

DL~
MAY 29TH - THE BOARDWALK THEATRE, MANDURAH

Took a walk around today.
Very lovely holiday town.
Found the post office and bought a few more silver and gold Sharpies for signing all the dark CDs and DVDs.
The venue was a stone's throw away.
I could actually see it from my balcony, tho I didn't know it until took that stroll.
It was a big theatre, full to the rafters with happy people who appreciated everything I said, sang or played.
What more could I want???
A lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg queue after the show.
Shame we're out of Retrospection CDs, but there were Post Cools left.
But not many.
And Alone With...DVDs.
Again, running low.
Leaving the hotel at noon tomorrow but the rooms might not be ready when we get to the next hotel.
Just as soon sit in the room here rather than in the foyer there.
Have to pack again tonight...sigh.
Later.

DL13

DL~
MAY 30TH - MANDURAH HOTEL, BUT NOT FOR LONG

Heading to another hotel in Perth that is closer to tonight's gig and the airport where we will fly to Albany very early tomorrow morning for the last show on Saturday night (and then back to Perth on Sunday morning for our flights home. It's gonna be brutal but I won't think about that now).
I don't usually do this kind of thing but I'm gonna post a short review that 5MU radio in Adelaide did of my show there on Wednesday night.
The thing I'm proudest of is the word 'communicator'.
Whether it's singing, talking, playing, writing or drawing communication is and has always been my most important goal.
The activities themselves are a means to an end.
That connection with others is what makes me want to carry on.
Might sound cloying and dramatic to some.
Yeah, well, f*ck 'em!!!
How's that for communication???
More from yet another accommodation along the road. ~

http://www.5mu.com.au/kruizin/keefy-blog/44890-dennis-locorriere-dr-hook-and-beyond

DL13

DL~
MAY 30TH - PERTH HOTEL

Not a very long journey today.
Our hotel is in the centre of town.
I love that!!!
It's only 1:30pm, so I am going to get out in it for a bit of walking.
There's even a sushi place directly across the street.
Heaven for a city boy.
Back later. ~

DL13

DL~
JUNE 1ST - ALBANY HOTEL

Sorry I haven't posted anything about the last two shows, but the pace has been ridiculously tough.
After getting our heads down about 2am following Friday's gig we left the hotel in Perth at 6am on Saturday to fly to Albany for the final show last night.
Now we're heading back to Perth this morning and it's all forward motion home from there.
The rub is that we're on the only plane back to Perth which means we will be at the airport there from about noon until 10:30 tonight when the first of our two lonnnnnng flights home begins.
We have a couple of hotel rooms booked so we don't have to hang around the airport with 6 suitcases, 3 guitars, a mixing desk, hand luggage and a partridge in a pear tree for all that time, but it's still gonna make the trip seem that much longer.
First 8 hours to Dubai, then a 3 hour layover and back on the plane for f*ck knows how many more hours to London.
Did I mention it was gonna be brutal?
Once we get into those hotel rooms at Perth airport I should have Wifi and plennnnnnnnnty of time to catch up on the last couple of blog entries.
I certainly don't want to sleep before we actually start the journey home.
You might be able to tell a little about the shows on Friday and Saturday from posts on the guestbook.
They went very well, indeed.
But, I'll be back to give my side of the story as soon as possible, albeit out of sequence.
It seemed like this day would never come but here it is.
It was well worth all the crap that a tour can bring, but I'd be a liar if I said the three of us aren't glad it's time to go.
But I haven't quite closed the book on it yet, so more later, folks.
Time to pack one last time.
For a while anyway. ~

DL13

DL~
We're sitting at the Albany airport and my iPad is tethered to the promoter, Layton's, phone, so I have an internet connection.
Taking advantage of the time we have here and the remote internet capability.
They told me at the hotel, where the signal was pretty dodgy, that 'when the sky is cloudy the internet isn't very good'.
Huh?
Really?
When it's cloudy???
Oooooooh...kaaaaay.
This is the smallest airport we've been in on this tour and might possibly qualify for the all time smallest on the planet.
When we showed up here Adrian laughed and said "Well, it looks closed to me" and damned if it wasn't!
We'd arrived before the guy with the keys.
The girl who runs the coffee kiosk came about 5 minutes after we did but said she wasn't allowed to let anyone in, so we had to wait for the airport manager to get here.
Adrian asked the girl to take our photo in front of the closed doors - a must photo op - which, tho a bit bemused, she did.
It was a good laugh and remained so until Mr Manager pulled up in his car.
Wouldn't have stayed as funny if it would have been closed on our leave day.
I mean it is Sunday, so who really knew?
Other passengers have begun to arrive, so the flight is actually going to happen.
Again, who knew?

I'll use this time to talk about the Perth show.

MAY 30TH - THE ASTOR, PERTH

This venue was an old converted cinema in what appeared to be the older part of the city, where the artistic types would dwell.
Even the lighted marquee out front of the building looked like it was a place that might have screened the original print of Gone With The Wind back in the day.
The theatre itself was cool looking and great sounding.
The audience seemed pretty comfortable in their surroundings which always makes for a good evening.
It was another enthusiastic crowdnwho seemed very pleased to see me right from the start of the show.
They were a bunch with whom I found I could be fairly spontaneous in what I talked about.
I really enjoy that.
The long queue afterwards was full of nice, happy people.
I like that too.
Wished I would have had copies of Retrospection fo htm to take home and so did they.
We also ran out of Post Cools at that show.
Imhad a very confusing email the next day from a fella who said he was 'very disappointed' because it was a solo show.
He said he should have read the 'small print' in the advertising which made me bristle because it was made absolutely clear this was a solo tour in BIG, BOLD LETTERING.
He said my 'voice was brilliant' and Inhad been 'funny and entertaining' but expected to hear the 'guitar licks and cool bass accents that made my songs so great'.
They may have made the records great, but the songs are either great or they're not, despitenthe accompaniment.
He said that me without a band was like 'KISS without their makeup'.
Well, if their poster clearly stated 'appearing without their makeup' and he turned up expecting to see them wearing it, who's fault and problem was that?
Not sure how he came up with such glowing comments about my performance in the face of his bitter disappointment, but there you have it.
Yes, I did reply to him.
All in all tho, a great night in Perth.

Getting back to real time, our flight is here, so gotta run.
More about Albany later. ~

DL13

DL~
MAY 31ST - ALBANY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, ALBANY, WA

As we arrived at Albany airport and made our way to our accommodations we were immediately struck by how, uhhhmmm, quaint it all was.
A real country town environment.
We'd left Perth pretty early and, in turn, it was only about 9:30am when we got to the hotel.
Too early, in fact, for our rooms to be ready, so the four of us - the fourth member of our entourage now being Layton, the promoter of the tour - went and had some breakfast, which was really good.
Our original fourth musketeer, Brad, had stayed behind in Perth to deal with some personal stuff, but we were to see him back at Perth airport the following morning to say a proper a Goodbye and Thanks for everything.
He was a great help and a friendly face to see every day.
After breakfast we went back to the hotel and I attempted to get some rest but found myself a bit too antsy and restless, probably due to it being the last show and thinking about packing to fly home.
The venue was a real surprise.
A state of the art modern facility that seemed strangely out of context in the rural surroundings of Albany.
The audience seemed like they weren't quite sure how to take my open approach to performing, maybe at first wondering if they should be hearing what I was telling them.
Chances are they don't get a lot of international artists in (even tho their entertainment centre could easily handle whoever got off the plane on any given day).
And maybe they weren't expecting someone who is willing to engage with them immediately and as a matter of course.
They were appreciative but probably more nervous than I was.
It all turned out splendidly in the end, as I simply won't have it any other way.
I'd gotten a stack of letters and cards delivered to me backstage, all of which were sent by the same woman, all asking me to play Years From Now.
I did play it during the encore because people shouted for it when I asked for requests, but I could imagine her telling her husband "See? And you thought I'd sent too many!!!"
Oh, and she also had a huge banner with the title of the song written on it, that she frequently held up and and which I happily signed for her after the show.
Again, to her possibly mortified spouse - "And you thought the banner was going too far!!!"
Everyone in the queue was chatty and nowhere near as reserved as they were in the audience.
I'd like to think I pulled them out of themselves a bit.
And, so, that was the final show of the tour.
On the plane back to Perth airport today, I spent a few seconds actually thinking about something I'd like to tell tonight's audience and suddenly realized there wasn't going to be one.
Funny how it all gets burned into my subconscious, huh?
Anyway, I'm sitting on the balcony of the room near the airport that I have to chill in for a few hours before we go and check in for our first international flight.
Actually, it's one of those apartment type places with a kitchen, laundry room, lounge, bedroom, etc.
Talk about overkill, huh?
We'll head to the business club lounge once we give them our luggage and I won't have to think about those big, black, rolling f*cking monstrosities again until we arrive at Gatwick tomorrow afternoon.
Pheeeeeeeewwwww!!!
I'm hungry so the delicacies that Emirates provides in their lounges will be much appreciated and eagerly consumed.
Not sure if I'll sleep on the flights or not.
I know I kept waking up on the ones over, just like I was doing at home in the weeks before we left, with my head full of what was about to unfold in the coming weeks.
That pressure is off now, but you know me.
I'll start stewing over what to do next once we get back.
I think a little sake, maybe even a tequila bloody Mary or two might get tossed back while sitting on the sofa, watching some DVDs or much missed UK telly.
Just no more of those damned infomercials that the Aussies seem to view as entertainment, please.
Jeez, it seems so long ago that we were on the flights to Sydney.
And I can imagine that journey could come up again in the not too distant future.
But, for right now, I'm heading in the opposite direction.
I'll let you know when I get home.
Only then will the Australia Tour Blog 2014 truly be done and dusted. ~

DL13

DL~
JUNE 2ND - DUBAI AIRPORT

After a 12 hour flight from Perth and a 3 hour layover here, we are waiting to board our 8 hour journey (better known as 'the short one') to London.
Not much to report other than to say we're closing in on home, friends and neighbors. ~

DL13

DL~
'TA-DAAA!!!'

From the time we left our hotel for Albany airport, the one that was closed when we arrived there, to touchdown today at London's Gatwick took a little over thirty three hours, not including immigration, which was quick, to baggage claim, where we started to get a little antsy when the third of our three guitars took it's sweet time walking on it's own from the plane and hopping on to carousel 1.
So, let's just round it off to thirty four hours, give or take, shall we?
I can't thank Adrian and Simon enough for making it easy on such a hard schedule.
They are my consistency in an unpredictable series of situations.
Undiscoverable until you're in the thick of dealing with some new set of circumstances.
I think they've come to count on my consistency as well.
Big thanks to Tony Guarra and all at Harbour Agency, tour promoter Layton Lillas, who's idea it was to bring me back to Australia and to promoter's rep Brad Thompson who hit the ground running with the three of us 'in the band' and kept pace every step of the bumpy, then smooth, back to bumpy, then smooth again (etc, etc) way.
I know I won't go back and read this blog, just as I never have with any of the others.
I read over what I write once, maybe twice if there's time, mostly for the usual spelling, punctuation and typo errors, tho I'm sure they're all over the place, especially on days when I was blogging as and when a moment allowed.
I have never been successful at keeping a personal diary.
I started a few but found the routine didn't hold my attention.
I realised that keeping a diary didn't satisfy my creative or communicative purposes nor did it seem necessary to sit at night and write down what I had just lived all that day.
It felt like me muttering to myself, about myself.
Doing the tour blog was me saying "This is how it actually goes out here, if you're interested."
Had it not gotten an enthusiastic response I'm sure I would have stopped after just a few entries.
I always derive a certain amount of pleasure from doing these tour reveals, even if I do sometimes sit, thinking ''What the hell am I gonna say now???' after several hypnotic weeks of shows and traveling, shows and traveling and to change the pace a little, traveling and shows.
I think I enjoyed the Aussie tour blog maybe the best of them all, I'm guessing because trying to describe what was different and interesting about this tour to everyone turned out to be a fairly organic process.
Much of it, good or bad, was as day to day different and interesting to live as I hope it was/is to read
So, as the title of this final entry says "Ta-daaa!!!"
The Australian Tour 2014 blog has officially ended.
That might sound like I believe there's a chance that somewhere, someone is 'unofficially' carrying on with a version of this particular blog without my participation or blessing.
I don't.
It's done.
Cheers. ~
21:20, June 2nd 2014

Moving forward, we have a couple of festivals coming up in Europe in late summer and a few unusual propositions to be looked at.
I can promise there won't be any extended touring going on for the rest of this year.
We're also taking a serious look at the UK.
We, or rather I first have to decide what elements I think should be included in my show if I were to tour here in 2015.
Other than that, looks like I'm offstage for awhile, folks. ~

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Dennis Locorriere Dennis Locorriere