DrHookOfficialDR HOOK Starring Dennis Locorriere

The place where DL speaks his mind!
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DL13

DL~
Last year, around this time, fans of the political thrash band, Rage Against The Machine (and lots of other folks), rallied by downloading and taking their single, Killing In The Name Of, to the top of the charts, acing  poor little Cheryl Cole wannabe, Joe McElderberry, out of the automatic Xmas number one spot and shocking the big wigs.
I was one of the millions of folks who downloaded RATM's song in protest against the stranglehold the vote-in shows had been firmly keeping on that once coveted achievement.
I sarcastically made the comment that I would be happy to download four minutes of silence if it meant toppling that dictatorship.

Well, this year a handful of artists have given us precisely that alternative!
A group of them, including Kanye West's protoge, Mr Hudson, Luke Pritchard from The Kooks, The Guillemots, spoken word artist, Dan Le Sac, along with Billy Bragg and Imogen Heap, who both contributed via telephone, gathered in a small studio with producer Paul Hepworth to re-record (?) John Cage's '4'33' - four and a half minutes of total silence that Cage originally recorded in 1952 as a protest against the aural assault of post war America, such as Muzak and advertising jingles.
I'm not sure '4'33' would get much airplay on Radio 2 - and even if it did, who would know? It will just sound like the station has gone down! - but I'll definitely have to make good on what I said last year and buy a copy.
Uuuuuh, how will I know the download was successful?
A clue:
Apparently, it's tough to record complete silence in a room full of people, so you can faintly hear breathing and shuffling and leather creaking, etc.
But, hey! even if this effort doesn't manage to bump Mr Cowell's artist out of the top slot, you can still turn off the radio every time 'his' record is played and award yourself 270 seconds of much preferred silence. ~

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Dennis Locorriere Dennis Locorriere