DrHookOfficialDR HOOK Starring Dennis Locorriere

The place where DL speaks his mind!
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DL13

DL~
We left London, headed to Glasgow, late afternoon on Thursday.
The flight left behind schedule and we arrived in Scotland close to 9pm.
By the tiime we got to the hotel it was a little after 10 and the restaurant was closed.
The answer from reception to the question 'Can you still get food in the bar?' was a positive sounding 'Yes'.
And it was, if by 'food' you meant crisps and nuts.
I don't know if anyplace was open in the area, but, to tell the truth, I hardly ever venture out to find something to eat at 11pm.
The hotel phones weren't working.
No matter which extension you called, from reception to guest services to housekeeping to conciege, it just rang and rang with no reply.
I managed to need to speak to someone about 2 different things - the food situation and getting a couple more pillows - and had to go down to the front desk each time to have the conversation.
The next morning started with a bit of hammering and drilling.
As it happened there was some refurbishment being done to the front of the building, to which I must have been pretty near.
It was scheduled to continue until 5pm, about 15 minutes after we were to leave for the venue.
It's a harsh fact and bad luck, if you will, that even tho we frequent hotels at least as often as many traveling businessman, booking in parties of a dozen or more people at at a time, the hotel clock is set to 'normal' business hours.
And those hours are absolutely nothing like ours.
The nomal jobbers are up, down to breakfast and out by 10 am, the latest, which means breakfast stops serving when they've been fed and one of us road dogs will be having to make do with a lunch menu as the first dietary decision of the day
In my case, because I don't eat after 3pm on a gig day, most likely the last one as well.
If you're not quick enough the lunch selection and service will also peter out around 2pm.
The next option is not yours to take.
Dinner!
The kitchen swings into action just about the time we're piling into our vehicle(s) du jour, to go to the gig.
Granted, traveling businessmen were probably invented long before transient rock and roll bands.
But, you know, it still has not been proven that this music thing is just a passing fad and, soon, we will be back to nothing but business as usual.
With no grumbly, half asleep musicians ringing down to annoy recepion wih stupid questions that anyone who travels for a living should already know the answers to.

The band went to the venue a bit earlier than I did to sort their gesr out, etc.
The soundcheck had to fairly concise because they were going to start letting folks in to the bars and seats at about 6.
There was a support act.
Singer/songwriter Mark McGowan went on at 7:30 and played for 30 minutes.
We were supposed to hit the stage at 8:20 but went on a few minutes later than that due to some venue issues.
I don't get involved.
The amphitheatre was absolutely fucking packed!
As i was in NZ and OZ, the demographic was amazingly diverse.
There were no kids because it was a '14 and over' ticket, but -ages 15 to 100 were solidly represented.
And this was the second night that went on sale after Saturday's show sold out.
There is a level of intensity a Scottish audience brings to the party long before the band and I sing or play a note.
It's like a pre-existing wave we're invited to ride.
We hop on and surf it while attempting to control the tide now and then.
The Friday night bunch knew what they'd come for but were ready for anything.
By the time the show was over we were wondering what Saturday night would bring.
All I can say is two consecutive nights of positive energy, appreciation and 'from the heart' passion we were shown were flattering, challenging, exhausting, humbling and certainly something to take with us.
Singing along as if life depended on it.
And maybe it did, dammit!
So, maybe we all were lucky enough to be there on those two wonderful nights and to have seized the opportunity to replenish and recharge our hearts and souls.
It's important in today's barely conceivable, forget about believable world.
I threw out the question of Kelvingrove possibly becoming an annual event.
It wasn't an unpopular idea, I must say.
After the show we went back to the hotel and packed our bags.
We had a 4:45am lobbly call and a 5am leave for the airport.
We were on a pretty early flight back to London.
Thanks to Synergy Concerts and the Williams Bros Breweries, who worked so hard to put the weekend together and to everyone who came to the shows amd made all the hard work a joy.
Of course the band, Adrian and the crew keep making my job a pleasure.
The legendary Sam and Claire joined us on this trip.
They rarely get to come hang out and see a show with all the behind the scenes important stuff they do constantly, day in, day out back at home.
We all knew the Scottish shows were definitely ones to make.
All in all, the trip was a successful, exciting, 'just like rock and roll' experience.
And we all made it back, tired, but whole and thinking we did good thing.

Next planet, ICELAND.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Dennis Locorriere Dennis Locorriere