DrHookOfficialDR HOOK Starring Dennis Locorriere

The place where DL speaks his mind!
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DL13

DL~
I have had several email asking if I intend to continue a daily blog now that the Australian tour is over.
My day to day life is pretty low key and there are only so many ways I can describe walking into town, grabbing a cup of tea and reading a book.
Those of you who have been here for awhile know that I will, of course, check in from time to time to relate anything that seems important, relevant or even simply funny to me.
Want to do a bit of writing, songs and poetry, always drawing cartoons and, as I said in my closing tour blog entry, there are a few out of the ordinary offers for concerts in places that have, up to now, been off my radar.
Thanks for giving a toss, folks.
I'll be back when I think what I have to say is, uh, toss worthy.
As an old friend use to say, cheers, m'dears. ~

DL13

DL~
I'm typing and posting this to get everyone used to the idea that some of these things will be in color and some, like this one and the entire last tour blog, will not.
That's simply because the black and white ones are done on my iPad.
As a matter of convenience.
I like this thing because I don't have to stay sat at a computer or even a laptop to do, well, anything online.
This little, feather light. contraption - I have one of the Air series - sits on the sofa with me like a puppy.
Once in awhile it licks my hand - I'll get an email from an old friend, for instance
Sometimes it pisses in my lap. ~

Sent from my iPet

DL13

DL~

Just checking in.
Been thinking I should have more to tell you, but I really don't.
Lucky for me I don't keep regular sleeping hours so the jetlag has kind of come and gone.
I've noticed that every night about 9- 10pm, when it would be early morning in Australia, I suddenly start to feel like I've been up all night.
I've usually just pushed on thru until about 2am and gone to bed.
I still woke up every few hours and finally put my feet back on the floor around 7:30-8am.
Fortunately, I have nowhere to be and nothing to do except send some email and make a few phonecalls, etc., and all in this time zone.
Had an interesting email on Wednesday from a fella who represents country artist, Keith Urban, who he said was looking for me
Keith wanted to know if I was still living in Nashville and if I was in town.
I called and had a chat with the guy who emailed.
Turns out Keith was doing an acoustic set that night at a launch party for a new online magazine called Rolling Stone Country and, if I was around, wanted me to join him onstage for a performance of Cover Of Rolling Stone.
Might have been fun, but, obviously, I wasn't gonna be able to do it.
It was cool to be thought of tho.

I hear he opened his set with Shel's song, apparently still heavily associated with the publication. 
Keith named Hook's Bankrupt album as one of his 'desert island discs' in an interview I saw a few years back.
I tried to contact him then to say thanks for the mention, but could never find an address or number I was confident would get my message to him.
Tried emailing an address that someone who knew someone who used to know someone else gave me but I have no idea if it landed anywhere near the man.
So, a near brush with celebrity came and went while I still am trying to work out where I am.
That's about it from my black and white world.
Hope the color of this post livens things up a bit. ~

DL13

DL~
Feeling a bit more human every day.
Hasn't been too bad, actually.
Thank goodness for irregular sleep habits, huh?
Two of the hardest things about being on the road - not being able to go out walking and eating when I want to rather than when I can - sort themselves out as soon as I get home.
Went to bed about 4:30am and was awake by 7:45.
Read for a bit and got up by 9.
That seemed pretty back to normal.
The skies look a bit overcast but the sun seems to be trying it's spirited best to change their cloudy ways.

Wanna run to a grocery store (a nearly literal description)and get some favourites in.
Going to see the Seth McFarlane western tonight.
If it's as funny as Ted I'll be happy.
So, see?
Nothing much to say but I said it anyway.
And it's blue!

Later. ~

DL13

DL~
OK. first of all A Million Ways To Die In The West was not a funny as Ted.
Oddly. all the reviews I'd read or heard about Ted, like tt was the same smutty joke over and over, for example, didn't seem appropriate when I finally saw the film.
But they did for the new one.
I'm glad I saw it but it was more a 'rent it and watch it at home' kind of movie than a 'go out to the cinema and sit in a building with others'.
Having said that, it was a later showing and there were only 6 of us in the entire room.
At least we weren't sitting in front of each other.
Was up last night until almost 6am, which I guess makes it 'this morning'.
Talked to my best friend, McCloskey, for a couple of hours.
He's still him so I assume I'm still me.

It was 4:45 when we hung up and I, of course, tried to watch the rest of what was on before we connected.
I can be such a hyper active child sometimes.
But it works for me when I need it to so I haven't tried very hard to break the habit. 
I've gotten some really wonderful email from people who came to see my shows in April and May.
Life affirming stuff.
Not a bad thing to be able to balance my 65th birthday against.
Friday the 13th this year.
How unlucky can it be this many trips around the sun later, huh?
It's an overcast day but I have to go out and do a few things.
Might even get as far as the tea shop with my book.
Might not.
How's that for taking advantage of not having an itinerary?
Gotta run.
Once again, I've said nothing.
I'm getting good at small talk. ~

DL13

DL~
It's almost half past midnight. Does that make it late Tuesday night or verrrrrrrry early Wednesday morning?
I've never been clear on that, but I've never really had to be.
Nothing was ever left riding on my understanding of that particular interpretation of man made time. 24 hours in a day,
7 days in a week, 52 weeks in a year and so on.
Just as well I've always kept less than routine hours.
Or, as the Welsh farmer who was renting my bandmates and me a little cabin on his property called them, in his explanation of why the heat was always turned off by the time we got back late at night.
It was, in his estimation, logically and simply because we kept "unsociable hours".
I just haven't been certain where to draw the line between night and morning, so it eventually evolved into a non-issue.
I'm on the colorless iPad tonight.
What it lacks in pizzazz is more than compensated for by not having ro sit over at the cluttered desk where my laptop is when I can sit more comfortably over on my tiny sofa, surrounded by DVDs and CDs, that sit in stacks, mocking me for not knowing which individual titles are in each pile, climbing threateningly higher, until it's like a f*cking Hitchcock film - The DISCS!!!
In glorious Black and White, o'course.

It was a lovely day today, uh, yesterday.
Tuesday.
Sunny, but a little breezy at the right moments.
It can be annoyingly windy where I live, but nature had it down to a fine art today.
Just shows you, doesn't it?
The weather can be agreeable when it wants to be, but obviously chooses to remain a national ready topic of conversation by staying unpredictable.
Today was so comfortable that I expect to pay for it somewhere down the line.

If someone would have asked the forty year old me what I thought my life would be like twenty five years in the future I never could have conjured a profile of my current self; one so vastly different from anything I might have supposed.
I think that's brilliant!!!
I know there is a sweaty palmful of folks from my past that would probably still die to tell you how I went crazy and moved to England.
A step looked upon by some as a hasty retreat.
An attempt to escape from a life that wasn't working for me.
When I finally 'lost it' and ran away.
OK, admittedly, to the uninformed, there might look to be a needle of truth in that haystack of bullshit.
Fact is, there was nothing hasty in my actions.
I'm not impulsive about making big changes in my life.
I deliberate.
Whether it's a personal or professional matter.
Sometimes for longer than I care to or even should, all the while wishing I might be just a tiny bit more swashbucklingly reckless with my On and OFF switch.
We worry in a misguided effort to feel more in control of a situation.
To prove that nothing can sneak up on the likes of you.
But, while you're out on your front porch, waiting for trouble, some bastard is going out your back widow with your laptop and the money you left on the dresser.
I suppose it could appear to some to be overdramatic and underthought when I finally decide to make a significant move because, at that point, after all the time spent privately mulling, considering and weighing, it quickly switches to 'all systems go' and no looking back. Some people have been totally shocked and surprised by my seemingly 'sudden' turnabout.
It makes the ones who couldn't afford to pay attention go "What the f*ck happened to him???"
PLEASE NOTE: In almost every one of my moments of clarity have I been called insane.
As far as me escaping a life that didn't suit me all I can say is "Yeah...AND???"
But never for a second did I think I was running away from something, rather taking the gamble that I may be heading towards something.
A simple 'if it ain't here, maybe it's there'.
If life, as they say, is a journey then I would like to see a bit more of the scenery, please.
Not just be rushed by it in a windowless van.
So, for me to now have a life I never could have predicted says to me that I've been paying attention, looking at options, weighing the consequences, taking the blows and learning from my stupidity.
Has the outcome been perfect?
Far from it.
Do I have regrets?
Some, but less than I would have imagined at this stage of the game.
Would I go back and do it all again?
If only to experience a differently composed symphony of shit, but shit, nonetheless, sure.
I walked away from this blog a few times while I was writing it.
To think, make tea, watch something quickly on TV.
It's now almost 4am.
Time, huh?
Tickticktick... ~

DL13

DL~
June 13th 2014 ~

Thanks to everyone for their b'day wishe,s whether by email, e-card or post.
Thanks for the 'wee gifties' too.
You know who you are.
You sent 'em!

Been up since before 7am.
Nice day out there.
Gonna take a walk and find a place to have a nice cuppa and read for awhile.
Some fun dinner plans with a few people I love.

My best friend, McCloskey, told me that tonight will be a full moon Friday the 13th and the next time that occurs will be on the day I turn 100 years old.
I'm gonna take a few notes on how today goes so I'll have something to compare it to.

Cheers, friends and neighbors. ~

DL13

DL~

I'm rarely surprised these days.
Maybe I'm too wary of what goes on around me or maybe I've just become old enough that new, unexpected experiences are hard to come by.
In any case, I was simply told I was going to the theatre in London last night but what I was going to see was not revealed.
I suppose I could have insisted but I really was excited that I didn't know.
Turns out the surprise was going to see Kevin Spacey perform a one man show, in the round, at the New Vic, titled Clarence Darrow.
Darrow was one of the greatest defence attorneys in American history, standing against the unions for the working man and generally taking cases that championed less than popular causes and individuals.
Google him.
I love seeing just about anything 'live', but I especially enjoy watching one person negotiate a stage to be the sole deliverer of the evening's contents.
Spacey's performance was absolutely stunning.
He's a brilliant actor.
Check out the reviews he's gotten for this production.
Four and five stars across the spectrum of media.
Today is the last performance in a very limited run so I'm a lucky guy to have seen it.
It was a wonderful surprise and the perfect birthday gift.
Perhaps you'd have to know me to predict how happy I'd be.
Nice to be known that well.

Did a newspaper interview on Saturday for the upcoming Swedish festival.
Another place I haven't been in a very long time.
The last time I was in Sweden was to do a TV show when Out Of The Dark was released, but the last time I actually performed there was with Dr Hook.
So that would have been quite awhile ago.
Once again I will have to fashion a show for folks who haven't seen me in decades or maybe not ever.
The Belgian festival will be a challenge too as I've not been there at all, Hook or solo.
Not that I can recall anyway.
Maybe a quick visit on the way to somewhere else?
I'm sure someone will correct/enlighten me if I'm missing something.
Both of these fests are said to be nice, friendly, family oriented events where they'll probably expect a good bit of their faves, but you know I will take the opportunity to educate them to my solo work without bludgeoning them with too much of it.

Been watching Game Of Thrones.
Can't say that I would have considered this show on my own because epic fantasies are not usually my cup of meat, but it was recommended to me by a friend who also said he wouldn't have typically given a toss about investing in a storyline like this one so, one night, in a fit of Australian hotel room boredom, I found it online and watched a couple of episodes.
And then a few more.
After about six I reckoned I would like to watch this series on something larger than my little iPad screen and stopped.
I ordered seasons 1-3 so they'd be here when I got home.
I've watched the ones I'd seen over and finished season one and am now a couple of shows into season two.
Like I said, it's not a program I would have assumed I'd care for.
I'm not a fan of The Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter.
I remember getting about 10 pages into The Hobbit when I was a teenager and thinking 'What nonsense. Big hairy feet, silly names. No thanks!'
Even the Star Wars saga never held my interest.
Saw the first one with my son when he was about 6-7 and, except for the bar room scene, I was bored enough to fall asleep.
Needless to say 'the force' did not stay with me.
But Game Of Thrones I like.
Hoping season four is ended and available on DVD by the time I finish what I have.
Only ten episodes in a season, so they'd better hurry it up and get it out there.
Yes, just for me.

Overcast today.
A good day to do a little grocery shopping for the coming week.
So, that's me for now.
But not for always. ~

DL13

DL~
On this, the last day of June...

Sorry if anyone got used to me blogging more often than not over the past few months.
I haven't really been doing all that much since I last posted here and I just realized that was almost 4 weeks ago.
As I've said before, there are only so many ways to describe a day where I take a walk, read and think.
Professionally speaking, there are only two more shows this year.
One in Belgium and one in Sweden.
Both festivals.
Been having lots of thoughts and discussion about what to do next year.
The days of just tooling around the UK, doing 60+ shows a year, every year, are a thing of the past.
It's time to look further afield for opportunities.
Australia was a big one.
New Zealand is another strong future possibility.
There was an extremely interesting multinational event in Russia, St Petersburg, that came up before we left for Australia.
It was scheduled for this coming month, but all the political confusion in that part of the world has postponed it until next year.
I hope.
It sounded like a really cool event. 
As far as the UK goes, I'm still deciding what I want to do here in 2015.
I was seriously thinking about putting a band together and touring the Timeless catalogue next year, but certain things have made me look at that again.
Ray Sawyer's band is doing a few shows in the UK later this year and the Timeless album figures heavily into their marketing theme.
No surprises there.
I've already recv'd several email from folks asking if I'm going to be at any of those shows.
Because of the extensive promotion I did for the Timeless album, on UK TV and radio, it's an obvious assumption.
to be perfectly clear, I'm not going to be involved in any of those shows in any way. 
And neither are any of the other original members of Dr Hook.
It might be the promoter's clever choice of the phrase 'they're back!' in his advertising, making it sound like a 'reunion' of sorts, that's causing and capitalizing on the confusion.
I'm even hearing whispers of a 'Farewell Tour'.
Anyone remember 'Dr Hook's One And Only Farewell Tour' back in 1985?
It was called that for a reason. 

Anyway, I thought it would be wise to post the notice onsite stating that I'm not taking part in any of those shows.
By the way, if anybody wants to repost that notice on their social media page, please do.
I could use it out there.
I just ask that it not be edited in the reposting.

I watched Dolly Parton's Glastonbury set on TV.
I love Dolly.
She's a great singer and songwriter.
I read today that she was accused of miming at the festival and it was adamantly denied.
Uh, sorry, but she was most definitely not singing live.
Her 'people' say it was a matter of a synch delay between the 'live' feed and the television transmission that made it look that way.
A delay does not cause words to come out of the speaker that a person's lips did not form and say.
I'll admit that her miming was spot on for just about all of her performance, but she missed a few words on her entrance to a line or two, here and there.
There are also 'tells', like the way someone breaths between words and lines, especially when they're moving around a stage, or how much of their back they have to put into a certain phrase or note.
Because her miming skills were so pronounced it also makes me think that she's probably been doing it that way for awhile.
Like I said, I love Dolly Parton.
Her voice can still bring a tear to my eye.
I'm glad she got as many people in her audience and as much love from the crowd as she did.
She's a true legend in every sense of the word and she deserves any accolades that come her way.
Maybe she wasn't willing to take any chances with her iconic status in front of a crowd that size.
Can't say I'd blame her being as big as she is.
But Dolly dear was not singing live at Glastonbury.

OK, that's it for me.
Back eventually. ~

DL13

DL~
Hotdogs on the outdoor grill, Coors in a cup
The perfect little snack before you go blow something up!!!

Today is the day that

America celebrates it's hard won independence from the Brits.

Happy Fourth of July from a Yank who surrendered. ~

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Dennis Locorriere Dennis Locorriere